Thursday, December 19, 2013

A Corporate Christmas

Don't be fooled by this post's title, I am in no ways railing against a Christmas holiday season that is growing ever more corporate. Who the fuck cares about that kind of thing?

No, what I am talking about is the Christmas season in corporate America, and the minefield of dilemmas it creates. Sure, we all know and have heard about the perils of work Christmas parties...but anyone who can hold their liquor should be fine in that situation. The least you should do, as Donaghy Estates has taught us, is keep your tie tight and you'll look much more sober. The thing is, everyone is drunk at these things so as long as you stay one step below the drunkest person you're good to go. It's sort of an arms race, but in this one you want to lose by one.

Here's the big issue with Christmas in the working world though: gifts. And the biggest dilemma surrounding gifts is who do you get them for? Do you get them for your boss? Or will you look like a suck-up? Or is that just protocol and you have to? I don't have the answers to these. If you do please comment. One thing I do know is you don't want to be the guy who gets a present from someone and doesn't give one in return. That's just basic manners. Case (literally) in point, I just received 2 cases of Budweiser as a holiday gift from a VP. Awesome I know, but do I give a return gift? What would I even get someone that makes 5 times as much as me? Just a card? Also I'm anticipating sneak attack gifts  from people I didn't even consider. The weird random people of the office. For those people I should probably have a few cards on hand with gift cards in them.

The holidays are a wonderful time, but this much thought should not have to be put into avoiding looking like both a mean jerk and a huge suck-up. But that's a real fine line to walk at work.


No comments:

Post a Comment